Today’s episode is part of our medication minute series, and today we will be doing a brief review of alpha 2 adrenergic receptor agonists and antagonists, in the context of their psychiatric uses. This discussion will include pharmacodynamics properties, indications for use, side effects and dosing. We discuss specifically clonidine, guanfacine, prazosin, and yohimbine.
- Sadock, Benjamin James. Sadock, Virginia Alcott. Ruiz, Pedro. Kaplan & Sadock’s Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015. Print.
- “Prazosin: Drug Information.” com. Web. 27 May 2018.
- “Clonidine: Drug Information.” com. Web. 27 May 2018.
- Stein, Murray B, PhD. “Pharmacotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder in adults.” com. 28 March 2018. Web. 27 May 2018.
- Sareen, Jitender MD. “Posttraumatic stress disorder in adults: Epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, course, assessment and diagnosis.” 13 April 2018. Web. 27 May 2018.
- “Guanfacine: Drug Information.” com. Web. 29 May 2018.
- “Yohimbine: Drug Information.” com. Web. 29 May 2018.