Today’s episode is all about the assessment, diagnosis and management of generalized anxiety disorder. We will first review the epidemiology of GAD, followed by discussion of the clinical presentation, diagnostic criteria, and evaluation of GAD. We will then move on to management, including options for psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy.
- Sadock, Benjamin James. Sadock, Virginia Alcott. Ruiz, Pedro. Kaplan & Sadock’s Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015. Print.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5. 5th ed. Washington: American Psychiatric, 2014. Print.
- Stein, Murray B MD PhD, Sareen J MD. “Generalized Anxiety Disorder.” The New England Journal of Medicine, 373 (2015): 2059-2068. Web. 29 March 2018.
- Baldwin, David MA. “Generalized anxiety disorder in adults: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, course, assessment, and diagnosis.” com. 26 May 2017. Web. 5 April 2018.
- Craske, Michelle PhD, Bystritsky A MD PhD. “Approach to treating generalized anxiety disorder in adults.” com. 1 December 2017. Web. 13 April 2018.
- Bystritsky, Alexander MD PhD. “Pharmacotherapy for generalized anxiety disorder in adults.” com. 17 January 2018. Web. 13 April 2018.