Today’s episode constitutes a review of adult ADHD, with focus on evaluation, diagnosis, management, prognosis, and other concerns regarding adult ADHD. Adult ADHD has long been a controversial topic. The reality is that 50-66% percent of children with ADHD will continue to suffer symptoms into adulthood, and it is no longer considered to be a condition which spontaneously remits with age. In addition, it has more recently been determined that a number of patients that can be diagnosed with adult-onset ADHD did not have symptoms in childhood. However, diagnosing and treating adult ADHD presents its own unique set of challenges, which we will discuss towards the end of today’s episode.
UpToDate.com members can click here to view a comprehensive table regarding pharmacotherapy options for adult ADHD, including dosage and titration schedules.
1.Sadock, Benjamin James. Sadock, Virginia Alcott. Ruiz, Pedro. Kaplan & Sadock’s Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015. Print.
2. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5. 5th ed. Washington: American Psychiatric, 2014. Print.
3. Hashmi, Ali M., et al. “Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Adults: Changes in Diagnostic Criteria in DSM-5.” Psychiatric Annals, vol. 47, no. 6, Jan. 2017, pp. 291–295., doi:10.3928/00485713-20170509-02.
4. Roy A, Hechtman L, Arnold LE, Sibley MH, Molina BS, Swanson JM, Howard AL, MTA Cooperative Group. “Childhood factors affecting persistence and desistence of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms in adulthood: results from the MTA.” J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry, vol. 55, no. 11, 2 Sep. 2016, pp. 937.
5. Bukstein, Oscar MD. “Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical features, course, assessment, and diagnosis.” UpToDate, 8 February 2018. Web. 9 February 2018.
6. Bukstein, Oscar MD. “Pharmacotherapy for adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.” UpToDate, 24 January 2018. Web. 9 February 2018.
7. Solanto, Mary V PhD. “Psychotherapy for adult ADHD.” UpToDate, 21 November 2017. Web. 9 February 2018.
8. Aoshima-Kilroy, Aya MD et al. “To Prescribe or Not? Pharmacological Options in Adult Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.” Psychiatric Annals, vol. 47, no. 6, Jan. 2017, pp. 303–308.
9. Deshpande, Swapna MD et al. “Managing Adult Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: To Treat or Not To Treat?” Psychiatric Annals, vol. 47, no. 6, Jan. 2017, pp. 315–321.