On today’s episode, we will discuss the second part of our 2-part discussion on neurocognitive disorders according to the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. In our previous discussion on neurocognitive disorders, we reviewed the evaluation of a patient with suspected delirium or neurocognitive disorder, the diagnosis and management of delirium, as well as the clinical presentation, diagnostic criteria, evaluation and treatment of major and minor neurocognitive disorder. Today, our discussion will turn to the specific etiologies of neurocognitive disorder as described in the DSM5. If you have not yet listened to part 1 of this discussion, I urge you to return to episode 5 originally aired on August 5th, 2017 to review those topics.
(Please note: podcast states originally aired on 08/28/2017, however, this episode originally aired on 10/23/2017.)
- Sadock, Benjamin James. Sadock, Virginia Alcott. Ruiz, Pedro. Kaplan & Sadock’s Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015. Print.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5. 5th ed. Washington: American Psychiatric, 2014. Print.
- Lonergan, Edmund, Annette M. Britton, and Jay Luxenberg. “Antipsychotics for Delirium.” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (2007). Web. 17 July 2017.
- Francis Jr., Joseph, MD, MPH. “Delirium and acute confusional states: Prevention, treatment, and prognosis.” UpToDate, June 2017. Web. 17 July 2017.
- Breitbart W, Marotta R, Platt MM, Weisman H, Derevenco M, Grau C, Corbera K, Raymond S, Lund S, Jacobson P . “A Double-blind Trial of Haloperidol, Chlorpromazine, and Lorazepam in the Treatment of Delirium in Hospitalized AIDS Patients.” American Journal of Psychiatry 153.2 (1996): 231-37. Web. 17 July 2017.
- Larson Eric B MD, MPH. “Evaluation of cognitive impairment and dementia.” UpToDate, June 2017. Web. 25 July 2017.
- Press, Daniel MD, Alexander M MD. “Treatment of dementia.” UpToDate, 14 March 2017. Web. 25 July 2017.
- Wolk, David A MD, Bradford C Dickerson MD. “Clinical features and diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease.” UpToDate, 12 May 2017. Web. 28 July 2017.
- Keene, C Dirk MD PhD, Thomas J Montine MD PhD, Lewis H Kuller Md DrPH. “Epidemiology, pathology, and pathogenesis of Alzheimer disease.” UpToDate, 30 May 2017. Web. 28 July 2017.
- Wright, Clinton B, MD, MS. “Etiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of vascular dementia.” UpToDate, 2 May 2017. Web. 21 August 2017.
- O’Brien, John T, Alan Thomas. “Vascular dementia.” The Lancet, London 386.10004 (2015): 1698-1706. Web. 21 August 2017.
- Lee, Suzee E MD, Bruce L Miller MD. “Frontotemporal dementia: Clinical features and diagnosis.” UpToDate, 6 January 2016. Web. 21 August 2017.
- Lee, Suzee E MD, Bruce L Miller MD. “Frontotemporal dementia: Epidemiology, pathology, and pathogenesis.” UpToDate, 30 March 2017. Web. 21 August 2017.
- Farlow, Martin R MD. “Epidemiology, pathology, and pathogenesis of dementia with Lewy bodies.” UpToDate, 13 March 2017. Web. 18 August 2017.
- Farlow, Martin R MD. “Clinical features and diagnosis of dementia with Lewy bodies.” UpToDate, 18 August 2017. Web. 21 August 2017.