On today’s episode, we will discuss the first part of a 2-part discussion on neurocognitive disorders according to the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Neurocognitive disorders involve acquired disruptions in one or more of the domains of cognition, which include
- Conductance of interpersonal relationships,
- Performing of tasks, and
It is important to be able to identify, diagnose, treat, and manage neurocognitive disorders in our patients as they can commonly be the basis for psychiatric symptoms, especially in our more elderly population. However, this proves to a challenging field in that it is not always black and white: there are a lot of gray areas as dementia can often have a multifactorial etiology. Neurocognitive disorders are a broad field, and today we will focus on the diagnosing and treating these disorders in the context of DSM5’s structure.
- Sadock, Benjamin James. Sadock, Virginia Alcott. Ruiz, Pedro. Kaplan & Sadock’s Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015. Print.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5. 5th ed. Washington: American Psychiatric, 2014. Print.
- Lonergan, Edmund, Annette M. Britton, and Jay Luxenberg. “Antipsychotics for Delirium.” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (2007). Web. 17 July 2017.
- Francis Jr., Joseph, MD, MPH. “Delirium and acute confusional states: Prevention, treatment, and prognosis.” UpToDate, June 2017. Web. 17 July 2017.
- Breitbart W, Marotta R, Platt MM, Weisman H, Derevenco M, Grau C, Corbera K, Raymond S, Lund S, Jacobson P . “A Double-blind Trial of Haloperidol, Chlorpromazine, and Lorazepam in the Treatment of Delirium in Hospitalized AIDS Patients.” American Journal of Psychiatry 153.2 (1996): 231-37. Web. 17 July 2017.
- Larson Eric B MD, MPH. “Evaluation of cognitive impairment and dementia.” UpToDate, June 2017. Web. 25 July 2017.
- Press, Daniel MD, Alexander M MD. “Treatment of dementia.” UpToDate, 14 March 2017. Web. 25 July 2017.
- Wolk, David A MD, Bradford C Dickerson MD. “Clinical features and diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease.” UpToDate, 12 May 2017. Web. 28 July 2017.
- Keene, C Dirk MD PhD, Thomas J Montine MD PhD, Lewis H Kuller Md DrPH. “Epidemiology, pathology, and pathogenesis of Alzheimer disease.” UpToDate, 30 May 2017. Web. 28 July 2017.