On today’s episode we will be discussing sleep-wake disorders. We will first discuss a quick overview of normal sleep architecture, as well as the tools available for evaluation of sleep. We will then delve into the specifics of the various sleep-wake disorders, as classified by the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, including insomnia disorder, hypersomnolence disorder, narcolepsy, breathing-related sleep disorders, circadian rhythm sleep-wake disorders, and we will also touch briefly on non-REM sleep arousal disorders, nightmare disorder, REM sleep behavior disorder, restless legs syndrome, and substance/medication-induced sleep disorder.
Please click here to view an EEG recording of the various sleep stages, as discussed in the episode.
Please click here to view and print my sleep hygiene handout for patients. This handout can be used free-of-charge for printing to give as patient material, however, if you are interested in hosting it on your own website, please contact me for more information.
- Sadock, Benjamin James. Sadock, Virginia Alcott. Ruiz, Pedro. Kaplan & Sadock’s Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015. Print.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5. 5th ed. Washington: American Psychiatric, 2014. Print.
- Stickgold, Robert, Walker, Matthew P. Neuroscience of Sleep. Elsevier, Inc., 2009. Print.
- Bonnet, Michael H., PhD, and Donna L. Arand, PhD. “Clinical Features and Diagnosis of Insomnia in Adults.” UpToDate, May 2017. Web.
- Bayon, Virgine, Damien Leger, Danielle Gomez-Merino, Marie-Francoise Vecchierini, and Mounir Chennaoui. “Sleep Debt and Obesity.”Taylor & Francis. Taylor & Francis Online, 11 July 2014. Web. 19 June 2017.
- Aran, Adi MD, Emmanuel Mignot MD, and Isabelle Arnulf MD. “Kleine-Levin Syndrome (Recurrent Hypersomnia).” UpToDate, June 2017. Web.
- Suau, Gloria M., Valerie Cabrera, and Josefina Romaguera. “Menstruation-Related Hypersomnia Treated with Hormonal Contraception: Case Report and Review of Literature.” Puerto Rico Health Sciences Journal 1 (2016): 40. Web. 21 June 2017.
- Chervin, Ronald D., MD. “Idiopathic Hypersomnia.” UpToDate, June 2017. Web.
- Scammell, Thomas E., MD. “Treatment of narcolepsy in adults.” UpToDate, 21 June 2017. Web.
- Kryger, Meir H., MD, and Atul Malhotra, MD. “Management of obstructive sleep apnea in adults.” UpToDate 30 May 2017. Web.
- Badr, Safwan M., MD. “Central Sleep Apnea: Risk Factors, Clinical Presentation, and Diagnosis.” UpToDate, 28 July 2016. Web.
- Badr, Safwan M., MD. “Central Sleep Apnea: Treatment.” UpToDate, 19 April 2017. Web.
- Piper, Amanda, PhD, Brendon Yee, MBChB, PhD. “Clinical Manifestations and Diagnosis of Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome.” UpToDate, 15 May 2017. Web.
- Martin, Thomas J., MD. “Treatment of the Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome.” UpToDate, 20 March 2017. Web.
- Piper, Amanda, PhD. “Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome: Weighing in on Therapy Options.” Chest 3 (2016): 856-868. Web. 23 June 2017.
- Wyatt, James K., PhD. “Overview of Circadian Sleep-Wake Rhythm Disorders.” UpToDate, 2 September 2016. Web. 23 June 2017.